2010 Grant Awards
The posters and papers listed below each grant arise from work facilitated through the grant funding.
Supporting “effective consumers”: Using a decision aid to improve patients’ decisions about methotrexate use for rheumatoid arthritis
Principal Investigator: Li, L(PDF)
Co-investigator: Lacaille, D
- Patient decision aids are evidence-based tools designed to support treatment decision-making. Little is known if and how these tools help patients with arthritis.
- Supported by CIORA funding, we developed and tested an online patient decision aid called ANSWER. This tool was designed for rheumatoid arthritis patients who were prescribed methotrexate, but were unsure about starting it.
- Results from a pre-post proof-of-concept study showed that patients’ decision comfort and knowledge improved after using the ANSWER.
- ANSWER is now available for free online access by rheumatologists and patients http://answer.arccanada.org/
Li LC, Townsend A, Adam PM, Backman CL, Brooks S, Ellert G, Jones A, Kamensek O, Koehn C, Lacaille D, Maloney C, Yacyshyn E, Yousefi C, Stacey D. Exploring how patients with rheumatoid arthritis use a methotrexate decision aid for making treatment choices. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 64(10) Suppl: S738. (Abstract #1722) Podium presentation. American College of Rheumatology/Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals Annual Scientific Meeting. November 2012. Washington, DC.
Li LC, Adam PM, Townsend AF, Lacaille D, Yousefi C, Turnau S, Stacey D, McGowan J, Tugwell P, Backman CL & ANSWER Team. Development and usability testing of ANSWER: A web-based methotrexate decision aid for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 63(10) Suppl: S652. (Abstract 1669). Podium Presentation. American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting. November 2011. Chicago, IL.
Not sure if methotrexate is right for your rheumatoid arthritis? We have the ANSWER” Roundtable on Arthritis Research. Vancouver, BC. October 1, 2011.
“Need just in time information? We have the ANSWER” CIHR Café Scientifique – Rheumatology Wait Times in Quebec: Current Situation & Solutions. Montreal, QC. June 21, 2011.
Presented at the 2012 American College of Rheumatology Meeting.
- A proof-of-concept study of a web-based methotrexate decision aid for patients with rheumatoid arthritis (PDF)
Presented at the 2014 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- A Proof-of-Concept Study of ANSWER A Web-Based Methotrexate Decision Aid for Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis (PDF)
- Li LC, Adam PM, Backman CL, Lineker S, Jones CA, Lacaille D, Townsend AF, Yacyshyn E, Yousefi C, Tugwell P, Leese J, Stacey D. A proof-of-concept study of ANSWER, a web-based methotrexate decision aid for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research (2014)