2011 Grant Awards
The posters and papers listed below each grant arise from work facilitated through the grant funding.
The development, implementation and evaluation of an interdisciplinary patient education program for ankylosing spondylitis and related axial spondyloarthritis
Principal Investigators: Passalent, L; Kang, R (PDF)
Co-investigators: Inman, R; Blair, J; Doucet, M; Lui, P; MacGarvie, D; Davis, A
- Based on the needs assessment, it was determined to develop an e-learning module for this patient population followed by self-management focused face-to-face sessions. Websites, on-line audio/ video and E-learning were cited as the most useful ways to receive information in all sections.
- The Disease, Diagnosis and Prognosis and Management sections were found to be the most important informational needs.
- Qualitative analysis indicated three major themes concerning patients: medication/pain, fatigue/activity/work and long term prognosis.
Presented at the 2013 Institute for Healthcare Advancement’s Annual Health Literacy Conference and 2014 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- Utilization of an informational needs assessment to develop an education program for patients with Ankylosing Spodylitis (PDF)
Presented at the 2016 American College of Rheumatology meeting and 2017 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- Impact of E-Learning on Knowledge, Self-efficacy and Exercise Behaviours of Patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis: Results from a Longitudinal Randomized Control Trial (PDF)
- Impact of E-Learning on Perceived Social Role Participation of Patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis: Results from a Longitudinal Randomized Control Trial (PDF)
Presented at the 2019 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- Longitudinal Outcomes and Predictors of E-Learning Effectiveness in Patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial (PDF)
- Proceedings of EULAR Annual Meeting, June 12-15, 2013, Madrid, Spain. R. Kang, R. Morton, C. Hawke, R. Inman, L. Passalent, J. Blair, A. Lake, M.Doucet, D. MacGarvie, Wong, K. Utilization of an informational needs assessment to develop an education program for patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) and related axial spondyloarthritis (SpA)