Choosing Wisely Canada
CRA Identifies Five Practices, Therapies or Procedures Physicians and Patients Should Question
The Canadian Rheumatology Association members are dedicated to provide the highest quality of evidence based care in diagnosing, treating and managing rheumatic diseases. As such, the CRA has joined with Choosing Wisely Canada and other Canadian medical societies to identify 5 practises, therapies or procedures that they see are overused and not adding value, and where there is literature to support its disuse. These are not prescriptive lists, but are meant to empower providers and patients to make wise choices in an effort to curb unnecessary testing and waste.
Since the launch of Choosing Wisely Canada in April 2014, over 250 recommendations have been published across a large number of clinical specialties. Review all Choosing Wisely Canada recommendations in a single document and an overview of how these Choosing Wisely recommendations apply to Rheumatologists.
- The right test at the right time: Striking the proper balance, Canadian Medical Protective Association, April 2017
- The Science of Choosing Wisely — Overcoming the Therapeutic Illusion, The New England Journal of Medicine, March 2016
- When it comes to tests, more is not always better, The Globe and Mail, April 2016
- Dr. Ariel Masetto presents the first of five recommendations available in French only
- Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis (PDF)
- What To Do When You Do Nothing, Dialogue magazine, Issue 1, 2015 (PDF)
- Choosing Wisely: The Canadian Rheumatology Association’s List of 5 Items Physicians and Patients Should Question,The Journal of Rheumatology, February 2015 (PDF)
- Watch videos discussing the Canadian Arthritis Patient Alliance and the CRA’s CWC efforts
- A 24 year old man with suspected sacroiliitis, Focus on Choosing Wisely Canada ebook, March 2015
- Arthritis Broadcast Network’s “CRA Interview Series 2015″ – Dr. Robert Ferrari: Choosing Wisely campaign
- Arthritis Broadcast Network’s “CRA Interview Series 2014” – Dr Carter Thorne: Choosing Wisely initiative in rheumatology
- Bone-density tests: When you need them—and when you don’t
- Methodology (PDF)
- Find out more about the Choosing Wisely Campaign
Choosing Wisely PowerPoint Slide Deck Available!
Thank you for your interest in Choosing Wisely. If you plan to present Choosing Wisely at your local centre, the CRA has a PPT slide deck available. If you are interested in using the PPT slide deck, please submit a Choosing Wisely Presentation Request Form
CWC goes mobile
We are pleased to announce the release of a Choosing Wisely Canada mobile app, available on Android and Apple platforms. The strength of this bilingual app is its searchability. All recommendations and patient pamphlets have been categorized by keywords for ease of use and efficiency. Visit the Google Play or Apple App store to download the CWC app today.