News & Updates
Drug Name: Methotrexate Injection (Sandoz), 25 mg/ml, 2 ml vial on backorder due to delay in shipping
Date Shortage Reported: 09/18/2018
Expected Resolution of Shortage: 01/01/2020
Provinces Affected: Ontario; other provinces unconfirmed
- Patients are frequently informed by their retail pharmacist, that all MTXsc is on backorder, which is NOT the case, and may have to ‘inform’ the pharmacist
- The Mayne Pharma Brand of Methotrexate 25mg/mL 2mL vial, which is interchangeable with the Sandoz brand in question, is available: DIN 02182777
- Over the next 6-9mos, it is likely that all formulations may, from time to time be in ‘backorder’
- Use Metoject pre-filled methotrexate. Suggestion is to fax/ call in a new prescription just to be sure that the right product/dose will be dispensed. Also, patient will need to be informed that this is a pre-filled syringe with a different concentration of methotrexate (50mg/mL instead of 25mg/mL).
Note, that Metoject does NOT use the same API (Active Principle Ingredient), and originates in Germany, whereas API for all other brands use the same API sources.
With the legalization of cannabis on October 17, 2018, Canadians may increasingly turn to their physicians for guidance regarding medical cannabis use, which has already entered mainstream medicine.
In the absence of studies examining the effects of medical cannabis in patients with rheumatic diseases, a position statement has been developed and published in the to help rheumatologists to offer pragmatic advice to their patient in a caring and empathetic way to ensure harm reduction. It was published online in The Journal of Rheumatology.
The Canadian Rheumatology Association would like to advise its members of the following reported drug shortage:
Drug Name: Shingrix – Herpes Zoster Vaccine
Expected Resolution of Shortage: December 31, 2018
Provinces Affected: National
Additional Comments: High demand for the drug coupled with the variable timing of supply shipments. Limited supply available of Shingrix 10s.
- January 18, 2019 Update: High demand for the drug coupled with the variable timing of supply shipments. Re-supply is ongoing with current inventory on allocation.
- Supply of Shingrix in the 10 dose package size were released on November 26 and are available under allocation – Read more
- Limited supply of the 1 dose package size is anticipated to be available in mid-December – Read more
Do you know or work with health professionals who want to stay current with evidence-based knowledge in the field of rheumatology and arthritis care? If so, please pass along this message!
The Arthritis Health Professions Association (AHPA) is a Canadian organization with a mission to build and sustain a community of professionals who provides the best possible care to Canadians with arthritis through knowledge translation, engagement, and inter-professional collaboration.
Membership benefits include a monthly newsletter, continuing education events, webinars, conferences, and other opportunities to share knowledge and expertise at an inter- professional level in the field of rheumatology. Members may apply for research grants and awards, attend the annual CRA/AHPA Annual Scientific Meeting and network with experts in the field of rheumatology. Travel bursaries are available to help offset costs.
Visit www.ahpa.ca to for more information.
Medexus has announced that Triamcinolone Hexacetonide Injectable Suspension 20 mg/mL (Intra-Articular/Periarticular/Intrasynovial Injection) is now available in Canada.
Triamcinolone Hexacetonide (TH) Injectable Suspension is indicated for intra-articular, intrasynovial, or periarticular use in adults and adolescents for the symptomatic treatment of subacute and chronic inflammatory joint diseases including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA)
- Osteoarthritis and post-traumatic arthritis
- Synovitis, tendinitis, bursitis and epicondylitis
Geriatrics (over 65 years of age):
No overall differences in safety or effectiveness were observed between elderly subjects and younger subjects. Reported clinical experience has not identified differences in responses between the elderly and younger patients, but greater sensitivity of some older individuals cannot be ruled out.
Pediatrics (3-12 years of age):
Triamcinolone Hexacetonide Injectable Suspension may be used as an intra-articular injection in children aged 3-12 years with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS – Special Populations, and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).
October 9, 2018
Triamcinolone Hexacetonide (TH) is available at all wholesalers and can be ordered by any pharmacy.
Each carton contains 10 ampoules
The grant recipient for the 2018 CRA (CIORA) Arthritis Society Clinician Investigator Salary Award is Dr. Zahi Touma for his research on describing different types of cognitive impairment in lupus patients using a combination of novel advanced brain imaging techniques and specified cognitive tests.
Dr. Touma explains that “this award is very essential to protect my research time and to continue developing my research program. I am very thankful and privileged to receive the CRA (CIORA)-Arthritis Society Clinician Investigator Award which is going to allow me to pursue my academic career”
For more information on the CRA (CIORA)-Arthritis Society Clinician Investigator Award go to rheum.ca/research/cra-ciora-tas-clinician-investigator/.