Join the CRA
Please consider the membership dues levels, rules and restrictions prior to commencing the application process to ensure your eligibility.
Please note: if you are currently employed by the pharmaceutical industry (other than as a contract Research Investigator) as a major part of your professional activity, then you are not eligible to join the CRA.
Membership, Dues Levels, Rules, Inclusions & Restriction
The CRA has 3 membership dues levels. Criteria can be found for each category below. Please note membership is by calendar year.
A Regular member is a university graduate, who has paid all current membership dues, and who is also at least one of the following:
- a member in good standing with a College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada and actively engaged in the practice of medicine;
- a person whose practice and achievements demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the board of directors, a competence and professional interest in rheumatic diseases; and
- a member in good standing at the faculty of a medical school in Canada whose accreditation is recognized by a provincial or territorial College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Membership Fee Information:
- $450 (plus applicable taxes) early bird rate if application submitted by January 31st.
- $650 (plus applicable taxes) membership fee if application submitted after January 31st.
- The CRA offers a 50% reduction in fees annually for those on maternity/paternity, sick leave and in their first year of practice.
- The preferred method of payment for CRA membership dues is by online credit card payment.
- The CRA accepts VISA, MASTERCARD and will process payment by cheque.
2. Emeritus: No membership dues
An Emeritus member was a prior Regular Member but is no longer engaged in the practice of medicine because the person has:
- attained the age of sixty five (65) years of age and retired from active practice of medicine; or
- having not attained the age of sixty five, has retired from the practice of medicine due to illness, disability or some other circumstance that, to the board of directors, justifies entry into this category of membership in the organization.
3. Trainee: No membership dues
A Trainee member is a medical doctor who is in graduate or post graduate studies in rheumatology at an institution approved by the board of directors. An applicant for this category of membership must apply each year for membership status. Trainee membership is awarded for a maximum of 2 years.