Join the CRA
Please consider the membership dues levels, rules and restrictions prior to commencing the application process to ensure your eligibility.
Please note: if you are currently employed by the pharmaceutical industry (other than as a contract Research Investigator) as a major part of your professional activity, then you are not eligible to join the CRA.
Membership, Dues Levels, Rules, Inclusions & Restriction
The CRA has 3 membership dues levels. Criteria can be found for each category below. Please note membership is by calendar year.
A Regular dues member shall be limited to persons that have graduated from university and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- A member in good standing of a College of Physicians and Surgeons of a province or territory of Canada and actively engaged in the practice of medicine; or
- A person whose practice and achievements demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Board, a competence and professional interest in rheumatic diseases; or
- A member in good standing of the faculty of a recognized medical school in Canada.
If a person is actively employed, the person must have a professional income which is comprised of at least fifty percent (50%) from clinical care or university salary.
Membership Fee Information:
- $500 (plus applicable taxes) early bird rate if application submitted by January 31st (use promo code NEWMEMBER2020 to receive your Early Bird rate).
- $650 (plus applicable taxes) membership fee if application submitted after January 31st.
- The CRA offers a 50% reduction in fees annually for those on maternity/paternity, sick leave and in their first year of practice.
- The preferred method of payment for CRA membership dues is by online credit card payment.
- The CRA accepts VISA, MASTERCARD and will process payment by cheque.
2. Emeritus: No membership dues
An Emeritus member was a prior Regular Member but is no longer engaged in the practice of medicine because the person has:
- attained the age of sixty five (65) years of age and retired from active practice of medicine; or
- having not attained the age of sixty five, has retired from the practice of medicine due to illness, disability or some other circumstance that, to the board of directors, justifies entry into this category of membership in the organization.
3. Trainee: No membership dues
A Trainee member is a medical doctor who is enrolled in a graduate or postgraduate program in rheumatology (PGY4/PGY5) at an approved institution in Canada. Trainee members must reapply annually and can be awarded a CRA membership for a maximum of two years.
An extension may be granted to those who enroll in further full-time education/training up to a maximum of 2 years (e.g. PGY6/PGY7). Proof of program enrollment will be required each year.
All new applicants must upload a current CV.