2008 Grant Awards
The posters and papers listed below each grant arise from work facilitated through the grant funding.
The Sensitivity of the GALS (Gait, Arms, Legs, Spine) Examination for Detecting Inflammatory Arthritis in Primary Care
Principal Investigator: Beattie,K
Co-investigators: Cividino, A; Larché, M; Schabort, I; Bobba, R; MacIntyre, N
- Physiotherapists and physiotherapy students were able to use the GALS exam to screen for signs and symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis with sensitivity and specificity values over 70%.
- Nurse practitioners and family physicians were also able to screen for signs and symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis using the GALS exam.
- Invited presentation at the 2012 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- Clinical Research Applied to Daily Clinical Practice; Learn From Your Colleagues How to Get Answers to Questions you Always Wanted to Ask British Columbia, Canada. Mar 29, 2012.
Presented at the 2010 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- The Sensitivity and Specificity of the GALS (Gait, Arms, Legs, Spine) Examination when used by Physiotherapists to Detect Rheumatoid Arthritis (PDF)
Presented at the 2011 American College of Rheumatology meeting.
- The Gait, Arms, Legs & Spine (GALS) Exam: An Effective Screening Tool for Rheumatoid Arthritis When Used by Family Physicians and Nurse Practitioners (PDF)
Presented at the 2012 Canadian Rheumatology Association meeting.
- Clinical Research Applied to Daily Clinical Practice; Learn from Your Colleagues How to Get Answers to Questions you Always Wanted to Ask (PDF)
- Beattie KA, MacIntyre NJ, Cividino A., Screening for signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis by family physicians and nurse practitioners using the Gait, Arms, Legs, and Spine musculoskeletal examination, Arthritis Care & Research (2012)
- Beattie KA, MacIntyre NJ, Pierobon J, Coombs J, Horobetz D, Petric A, Pimm M, Kean W, Larché MJ, Cividino A., The sensitivity, specificity and reliability of the GALS (gait, arms, legs and spine) examination when used by physiotherapists and physiotherapy students to detect rheumatoid arthritis, Physiotherapy (2011)
- Beattie KA, Bobba R, Bayoumi I, Chan D, Schabort I, Boulos P, Kean W, Obeid J, McCallum R, Ioannidis G, Papaioannou A, Cividino A., Validation of the GALS musculoskeletal screening exam for use in primary care: a pilot study, BMC Musculoskelet Disord. (2008)